Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:33:48 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Joesh Juphland <part_lion@hotmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compare and contrast vmware and jail ?

--BwCQnh7xodEAoBMC

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 02:11:42PM -0700, Joesh Juphland wrote:
>=20
> I am going to be setting up four freeBSD servers as a test environment -=
=20
> they need to be totally isolated machines.  However, I would like to see =
if=20
> I can do all of this on one server.  The choice that comes to mind=20
> immediately is vmware, but since I am required to use all freeBSD, I woul=
d=20
> be using vmware via linux compatibility mode, which is somewhat slower th=
an=20
> native vmware on linux.

Is this just your guess, or a conclusion based on measurement?  Linux
compatibility mode does not entail any performance loss in the general
case because it's basically an alternative interface to the FreeBSD
kernel, not a virtual machine emulation layer running on top of it (if
you can show slowdown in this particular case, please do).

> I have two specific questions:
>=20
> 1. Is jail ready for prime time ?  that is, taking into account stability=
,=20
> performance, and _security_, would you feel comfortable running multiple=
=20
> servers on a single machine where the relative contents of the machines w=
ere=20
> sensitive (in terms of performance and security) ?
>=20
> 2. Any comments on the differences between using vmware and jail ?  Why=
=20
> would I choose vmware over jail ?  Does jail offer the same memory usage=
=20
> guarantees, etc. ?
>=20
> Any thoughts  /  comments on vmware vs. jail, and the viability of using=
=20
> jail on a multi-system system are appreciated.

I wouldn't have even considered using vmware..it sounds like a very
heavyweight solution for something jail can probably do better (see
the manpage for limitations).

Kris

--BwCQnh7xodEAoBMC

--BwCQnh7xodEAoBMC--