Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 1995 02:39:28 -0800
From:      Torbjorn Granlund <tege@cygnus.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        tege@cygnus.com
Subject:   Frequent panics in 2.0-RELEASE

Starting with the floppies from ftp.freebsd.org, via the full 2.0 CDROM
distribution, I am trying to build a mildly customized kernel.
Unfortunately, I cannot get past the compile of the new kernel, since the
existing kernel (i.e., the one from the distribution) keeps panicing.

Here is what I get on the screen (somewhat abridged):

  Fatal trap 1: privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode
  instruction pointer = 0x8:0xf013d400
  code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
		  = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
  processor eflags = resume, IOPL = 0
  current process = Idle
  interrupt mask =

  panic: privileged instruction fault
  syncing disks

  Fatal trap 12, ... etc etc

My system has an Asus PCI/I-486SP3G motherboard with and integrated NCR SCSI
2 controller and a 100 MHz Intel 486DX4, 256 kB L2 cache, and 16 Mb DRAM.  I
have set the cache to do write-through instead of the defalt copy-back.  (In
the BIOS that is, maybe the kernel overrides this.)  The only hard drive is
a 500Mb SCSI 2 device.

I am uncertain what a useful kernel bug report looks like, so I have
probably left out the important stuff and included stuff you don't care
about.  If that is indeed th case, please ask me for the relevant
information.

I tried installing FreeBSD 1.1.5.1, but it could not read the sd0 device
during installation.  (1.1.5.1 works great on my laptop with its IDE hard
drive.)  I need to have some Unix variant (i.e., FreeBSD, NetBSD, or Linux)
on this system within about a week (after that this system is going to fly
to a friend of mine Europe...), and if you can help me to get FreeBSD to
work, that would be the solution I prefer.