Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 03:16:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Fuzzy <fuzzy@pooh.ASARian.org>
Cc:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I need some help...

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Charles Pelletier wrote:

> quite honestly, i think you are wasting your time working with 286's. even
> people who can't afford computers know better than to use a pre Pentium
> machine. while you do have a noble cause in mind, you must realize that
> 286's, even with tweaking, can hardly even run DOS, let alone connect to the
> modern internet.
> good luck, but you're better using anything less than a 486 as a step stool
> or paperweight.

We've used 386sx/8's with Slackware Linux from the 0.99 kernel forward,
for both desktop, (shell and shell applications), as well as a server
system. I agree though, you need at least a 386 class (with the CPU
having v386 mode), for anything practical. For M$ OSes at least
a pentium class (win98 really needs the resources).

We put machines together from donated parts and systems for our clients,
who otherwise would not have access to the support groups and research
for helping in recovery, one can find on the internet.

                		     _____ __ __ ____  ____ __  __
		                    / ___// // //__  )/__  )\ \/ /
                  		   / __/ / // /   / /__ / /__\  /

                                        President, ASARian Inc.
                                        Sys Admin, ASARian.org

--

PGP 2.6.3 Key fingerprint = 56 64 1D D9 65 53 B2 20  79 97 EF 45 18 FE 19 4E

finger fuzzy@pooh.ASARian.org for public key.

ASARian Inc. provides free internet access to survivors of sexual abuse.
We are a not-for-profit organization (501(c)3). ASARian.org takes its name
from the Usenet newsgroup alt.sexual.abuse.recovery, (since replaced by
alt.sexual.abuse.recovery.moderated due to spam).