Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:57:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Alexander Maret <maret@axis.de>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: xl driver for 3Com

 > > FreeBSD developers do things in their spare time and they want
 > > people to respect that. They want to see some investment from
 > > the other side as well to make it worthwhile.
 > > And if that trade off is not what
 > > you want, there are companies out there that solve problems for money
 > > (http://www.freebsd.org).
 >
 > Well what do you want then? You're on the one hand whining that people don't
 > post bug reports and on the other hand you say: "Go away and ask other
 > people".
 > I didn't want configuration support but wanted to show that there is an
 > ERROR!!!

The discussion started with a remark about the fact that 3Com cards have
problems under load, without a backing of that statement. That is the
thing that made people trip over. It is a statement that is not the
least helpful for anyone on the hackers mailing list and will not
trigger help from anyone, apart from responses from people being
frustrated about not being able to help (sounds silly but it is
true, their puppy is being attacked without them being able to
respond).

 > You're wrong! I tried to participate but everybody just told me that I'm an
 > idiot. Well perhaps they're right but if nobody wants to hear my bug report
 > then I'll use another card. A card which driver has been better tested and
 > where gifted programmers did the bug reports.

You think along the lines of least resistance for solving your problems,
while developers think along the lines of highest resistance to get bugs
sorted out. Added to that was quite a bit of (justifiable) frustration
from Bill P. side.

And I don't think people call you an idiot and if they did, they are
wrong. They are however entitled to express their opinion in a for them
suitable way and should be read with their background and a context, you
might not be fully aware of, in mind. Do not mistake this for people
being angry at you. If you are able to read emotions from an e-mail
accurately, you have a very special gift.

Maybe we should revert to posting patches. They are easier to read.

Nick.