Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 12:34:11 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2-BETA install failure

I finally got the 2.2-BETA install to FTP all the files without triggering
the race condition in our FTP proxy, but had a few problems afterwards:

- I was unable to select "Busmouse" in the mouse selection menu,
even though the probe messages included "mse0 at 0x23c irq 5 on isa".
Another oddness about the mouse selection menu: when I first selected
it, I could select "PS/2 mosue", but if I then selected COM1 and then
went back to "PS/2" I couldn't select PS/2 the second time.

- XF86Setup stopped accepting input from the keyboard after I hit enter
to "dismiss" the info panel about how to set up the mouse.  I couldn't
figure out what to do so I went to VTY4 and killed XF86Setup.  After that,
there was nothing running on any other VTY (hitting ctl-alt-F[124] just
beeped) and X wasn't responding to ctl-alt-BS so I ended up hitting
reset.

- After my bad experience with the 2.2-ALPHA install and "dangerously
dedicated", I installed a partition table this time (whatever I got
when I hit "A" and then said "no" to the dangerously dedicated mode).
I rebooted, hit F5 for the 2nd disk (FreeBSD is on sd1), and got 5
lines of garbage displayed on the screen.  Trying to boot sd(1,a)/kernel
from the boot floppy results in

dosdev=81 biosdrive=1 unit=1 maj=4
Invalid format!

I'll start mucking around with the fixit floppy, I guess.

  Bill