Date:      Fri, 06 Dec 2013 13:17:01 +0100
From:      krichy@cflinux.hu
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs deadlock

I've applied r258294 on top of releng/9.2, and using the attached
scripts parallel, the system got into a deadlock again.

From owner-freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG  Fri Dec  6 15:06:12 2013
 z6Sn2iQ--
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:02:58 -0500
From: Jason Keltz <jas@cse.yorku.ca>
To: freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject: masking filesystem mount

Hi..

I'm using FreeBSD 9.2 system as a backup/archive pooling server.  At the
moment, one of the servers being backed up is a Linux file server.
Assume that the file server has a directory "/export/home" which
contains home directories, user1, user2, and user3.  Every day, the file
server is backed up to the pooling server creating a structure something
like:
/backup/home:
user1/ user2/ user3/
Of course the best part is:
/backup/home/.zfs/snapshot:
day1/ day2/ day3
(then of course user1/ user2/ user3/ under each day)

I'd like to automount the contents of a users snapshot directory onto a
departmental system.  However, I'd prefer if the user sees just their
own files in their arc directory, and not everyone elses.
That is, when user1 using one of our systems changes into say,
/arc/user1, he should see:
day1/ day2/ day3/

... but when he goes into day1/ da2/ day3, he should see only his
directory - not everyones.

To make this happen, I wonder if there's a way to mount a whole
filesystem, but somehow provide a "mask" that can be used to "hide"
parts from view.  In this case, if I could somehow specify a regexp like
^*/user1/* so that user1 sees only his files, this would be good.

I think the answer is no, but it's an interesting "problem".

(Yes, if I snapshotted each users home directory separately, there would
be no problem).

By the way -- one other question on the topic of ZFS snapshots.  I
notice that a question as to why you cannot do a "pwd" in a .zfs
directory has been asked before...   apparently pwd works works if you
make .zfs visible (which I haven't tried since I don't want .zfs to be
visible).  My question is -- what is the technical reason this isn't
possible?  On the surface, sounds like something that should be easily
to fix.  Underneath, I guess it's more tricky...  I just know it seems
logical to me to be able to do a pwd in a .zfs directory whether .zfs is
visible or not.

Thanks..

Jason.