Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 14:45:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_de.c ????

> >Actually, you seem to be complaining about the fact that using parts
> >with public specifications commoditizes the hardware.  This is true,
> >but it's not a bad thing.  After all, many companies make lots of
> >money selling commodity items.  Like kitchen utensils.

[ ... ]

> >If you think DEC isn't going to sell those specs to "Joe Schmoe" in
> >order to protect SMC's market, then you have another thing coming.
>
> Horse Hockey! This is the old IBM PC problem....who is going to establish
> the market if noone can make enough margin to pay for the initial marketing?

Actually, this isn't the IBM PC problem.

This is the IBM PS/2 MCA problem: invent a closed interface and your
customers will go elsewhere.

> Companies like DEC will have to make business decisions about whether
> they want to have a handful of OEMs or sell to the general public. I
> think that there will be "limited" agreements, in which the
> manufacturers of ASICs keep the specs under wraps for a year or two,
> letting the marketing companies recover their investments, and then
> flood the market for the taiwanese clone manufacturers.

This presumes that somehow the "taiwanese clone manufacturers" can
ride on the backs of the marketing companies.  This is an unlikely
scenario -- each company must do it's own marketing.

This also assumes that the company that comes out with something first
is somehow at a disadvantage... and that's what patents are for, if
they truly have unique R&D value to recoup.  If not, then they are
simply milking the margin until competition commoditizes the hardware,
and then probably moving on to greener (non-commodity) pastures every
so often to keep ahead of the wave.

What we are really talking about here is companies which *delay* new
technology deployment so that they can reap as much margin as they
can get away with before they move on.  This is very similar to the
practice of selling business names to liquidators, and then they push
as much crap through the channel as they can to trade on the value of
the name (or in this case, the new technology) before moving on to
vulch the next carcass.

I have no sympathy for such companies, who ride the price bubble from
product to product.  The best example in this line of discussion so
far was the Matrox board, and its similarity to the Phillips sample
implementation that comes with the chip data.  What investment did Matrox
need to recoup that justified such a high margin and protectionism,
such as you describe here?  None.  The ramp-up costs are the same for
the clone vendors as for Matrox... a production line is a production
line, and it's nothing more than an issue of how long you can keep an
inflated margin before you have to do honest business.

Personally, I don't think these companies have a "right" to inflated
margin, and if I were in the boards business, I'd be happy to establish
my legal department as a profit center by sueing these vendors under
Sherman for price-fixing, if similar non-disclosure agreements were
not offered generally to all interested vendors.  If DEC sells something
to one company in an open market agreement, they are required by *law*
to provide similar open market agreements to all other vendors who
wish to enter into them.

If you are saying that "the fix is in", then with you as a board vendor,
I urge you to get into the business of suing, because if you're right,
it will be terrifically lucrative for you: if nothing else, the FTC fines
for your competitors anticompetitive practices will drive up his costs,
and you will be able to charge less for your product than he is able to
charge for his.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org