Date:      Sun, 17 Jul 2011 13:44:22 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Ruslan Bukin <br@bsdpad.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-current + nvidia GeForce GT 520M

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 6:17 AM, Ruslan Bukin <br@bsdpad.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> x11/nvidia-driver is official driver that works for 8-stable.
> For current may be work too (I checked a week ago on Lenovo t410s).
>
> xf86-video-intel works only for current. For information and
> latest patches: http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU
>
> -Ruslan
>
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 03:16:43PM +0300, m irya wrote:
>> Hello everyone
>>
>> I've got Levono Ideapad z570 (i5, amd64 arch) and trying to make
>> graphics work with freebsd-current (recent week different snapshots);
>> the notebook has twographic cards,
>> - intel integrated graphics controller, identified as
>> vgapci1@pci0:0:2:0: =A0 =A0 class=3D0x030000 card=3D0x397d17aa chip=3D0x=
01168086
>> rev=3D0x09 hdr=3D0x00
>> =A0 =A0 vendor =A0 =A0 =3D 'Intel Corporation'
>> =A0 =A0 device =A0 =A0 =3D '2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integra=
ted
>> Graphics Controller'
>> =A0 =A0 class =A0 =A0 =A0=3D display
>> =A0 =A0 subclass =A0 =3D VGA
>> - nvidia GeForce GT 520M card
>>
>> I've tried different combinartions (properly specifying BusID for each
>> card), but
>> - the intel card isn't recognized neither with
>> x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel nor x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel29
>> - the nvidia card isn't handled by x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv (i
>> suppose for noveau the result will be the same)
>> - trying to install the x11/nvidia-driver gives no luck - the machine
>> hangs on initialization, after Xorg logs stuff has appeared in the
>> console, but before the videomode has changed (with GENERIC kernel,
>> i've tried both the driver verson from the ports and manually updating
>> the port to version 275.19)
>> - VESA driver works both with Nvidia and Intel cards, but it gives the
>> maximal screen resolution of 800x600, way to small. The display
>> resolution is 1366x768, but the driver says there's "no mode for this
>> name", same for the standard 1024x768.
>>
>> Did anyone try to make the same setup work? Is there any way to make
>> nvidia drivers work for me? Or at least how to force VESA driver use
>> 1366x768 mode for usable workspace?

Is the nVidia card listed as the "Optimus" version? If so, it simply
will not work with xorg. The Optimus version of nVidia graphics lack
any frame buffer. They only do GPU off-load and still use the frame
buffer of the Intel graphics. nVidia has clearly stated that they will
not support Optimus for Linux, Unix or anything other than Windows. An
attempt to develop open-source support for it is underway, but I have
no doea when it might be available.

If you have an "Optimus", you need to disable it on BIOS so you only
have the Intel GPU and wait for GEM/KMS. I have had no luck getting
VESA to provide any widescreen modes with the Intel GPU.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com