Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:59:34 -0500
From:      Richard Kuhns <rjk@wintek.com>
To:        "pyunyh@gmail.com" <pyunyh@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bge on the new Mac Mini

On 11/20/12 03:52, YongHyeon PYUN wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:30:04AM -0500, Richard Kuhns wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Over the last month or so I've installed FreeBSD 9 (-stable) on several Mac
>> Minis via the memstick image; they seem to be pretty good little boxes for
>> things like offsite secondary nameservers, for example, and they're easily
>> replaced in case of problems.
>>
>> However, the newest minis have slightly different hardware, and FreeBSD can't
>> find the built-in NIC. pciconf -lv on the new mini shows it as
>>
>> none3@pci0:1:0:0:       class=0x020000 card=0x168614e4 chip=0x168614e4 rev=0x01
>
> It seems this controller is BCM57766.
>
>> hdr=0x00
>>     vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
>>     class      = network
>>     subclass   = ethernet
>>
>> The previous edition mini (that works) reports
>>
>> bge0@pci0:2:0:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x16b414e4 chip=0x16b414e4 rev=0x10 hdr=0x00
>>     vendor     = 'Broadcom Corporation'
>>     device     = 'NetXtreme BCM57765 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe'
>>     class      = network
>>     subclass   = ethernet
>>
>> Is there a chance that adding the new card/chip info to the current driver would
>> allow it to work? I'll be happy to test and report back. I'm afraid I'm not
>> familiar enough with hardware at that level to figure out the patch myself.
>>

> Try attached patch and let me know whether the patch works or not.
> If the patch works please share dmesg output(bge(4) and brgphy(4)
> output only).
> Note, the patch was generated against CURRENT.

I'm afraid it didn't help. I ended up grabbing if_bge.c and if_bgereg.h from
HEAD using svnweb.freebsd.org. The patch installed cleanly and there were no
errors during the build, but still no NIC.

Just to make sure you know, I've made no local modifications at all. This was a
fresh install and I've touched nothing except for these 2 files.

Thanks!

--
Richard Kuhns <rjk@wintek.com>     My Desk:          765-269-8541
Wintek Corporation                 Internet Support: 765-269-8503