Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 11:38:18 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        "Michael W. Collette" <metrol@metrol.net>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 on Thinkpad T23

--==_Exmh_-1015344264P

> I've tried the standard "device pcm" and what feels like a a couple of dozen
> different varieties from different web sites talking about this.  Darn thing
> locks solid on boot with the following error...
>
>   pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x8086, dev=0x2483) at 31.3 irq 11
>   pcm0: <Intel 82801CA (ICHA)> irq 11 at device 31.5 on pci0
>   pcm0: unable to map IO port space
>   device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>
> At that point I've got to hard power down to get my system back.

This looks like the "lazy BIOS" problem, where the BIOS doesn't allocate
resources to the device, expecting the OS to do it.

Unfortunately, -stable, doesn't do this, expecting the BIOS to do it for us.

If you have a "PNP OS Yes/No" option in your BIOS, set it to "No", as this
will hopefully force the BIOS to allocate resources, which -stable can then
attach/use. (I know, I know, you probably don't have this option on a modern
laptop, as these are all designed to be used with a "modern" OS from Redmond
that does this).

You might need to try -current (although right now would probably be a really
bad time, as they're just integrating GCC 3 into the tree), as the ACPI
support may well do a much better job of this.

Oh, and IM (limited) E, this failure to allocate resources for the sound
device doesn't usually cause a hang - this is probably something else, sorry.

HTH.

Regards,

AS

--==_Exmh_-1015344264P