Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 10:03:29 +0800 (WST)
From:      David May <david@allsolutions.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Q] How to fix spurious kernel error messages?

I am running FreeBSD 3.2 Release on a firewall machine using IPFW and NAT.
There are two ethernet interfaces. The external interface is physically
connected to our Internet router only.  There are three IP addresses on
the external interface that are aliased to three addresses on the internal
interface.

A few days ago I needed to turn off the external interface "ifconfig ed2
down" in order for our ISP to do some work on the router.  Ever since I
reactivated the interface with "ifconfig ed2 up" kernel log messages
similar to the following example have been appearing in /var/log/messages
file approximately every second. (IP addresses and hostnames changed to
protect anonymity.):

Dec 13 09:33:48 firewall /kernel: arplookup 999.999.999.1 failed: could
not allocate llinfo
Dec 13 09:33:48 firewall /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
999.999.999.1rt
Dec 13 09:33:48 firewall /kernel: arplookup 999.999.999.2 failed: could
not allocate llinfo
Dec 13 09:33:48 firewall /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
999.999.999.2rt
Dec 13 09:33:48 firewall /kernel: arplookup 999.999.999.3 failed: could
not allocate llinfo
Dec 13 09:33:48 firewall /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for
999.999.999.3rt

The firewall seems to be working as well as before and these messages are
the only indication of a problem.

How can I correct this (other than rebooting the machine)?

PS Please CC any replies to my address as I cannot subscribe to
freebsd-questions - the volume is to much for my email account.