Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 13:21:12 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        jc@irbs.com, pst@cisco.com, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Filter version 2.8

In some mail from David Greenman, sie said:

> >Paul Traina writes:
> >>
> >> Should we be incorporating Darren's new code into FreeBSD?  It makes
> >> more sense to do that than to continue with Ugen's work on top of
> >> the old code.
> >
> >I hacked it into the kernel last night.  Its pretty nice.  Good
> >logging, test suite, no console printf's.  I vote yes.
> >

> >> However, I know that Darren has license issues that need to be resolved.
> >> Is there some way we can get this good code into the base distribution of
> >> FreeBSD in a fashion that will be acceptable to both him and us?
> >>

> >I don't see that in his license.
>
>    It used to be restricted so that people couldn't use it commercially. I
> spent several rounds of email with him trying to convince him to change it.
> It looks as though I was successful (although I didn't know it until now).
>    Cool! :-)

Just looking at the top of .c and .h files, it should read:

 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
 * provided that this notice is preserved and due credit is given
 * to the original author and the contributors.

and not

 * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
 * provided that this notice is preserved and due credit is given
 * to the original author and the contributors.  The author accepts no
 * responsibility and is not changed in any way.

(the later makes no sense).  Anyway, I'd appreciate any bug fixes or
patches that you can feed back to me so that it can be fitted to FreeBSD
systems which don't include it as part of the distribution.

cheers,
darren