Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:56:29 -0500
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@skyrunner.net>
To:        "Bruce R. Montague" <brucem@mail.cruzio.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: disabling the request for hostname and ipaddress.

Bruce,

Thanks a lot for the complete description, until now, I didn't realize that
things were pulled in from mfs_tree as well.

What I wound up doing was putting a local copy of rc1 in my build's etc dir,
then modifying the rc1 to exclude:
#find_system_id                 # Set $main_eth $main_if
#set_main_interface             # Set ${hostname} and ${ifconfig_${main_if}}
#set_all_interfaces             # Set ${ifconfig_${if}} for other
interfaces.

It seems to work, I haven't broken anything big by doing this have I?

I also then created an rc.local that manually configures my interfaces and
runs the sysctl variables I need to cerate the bridge group, as well as a
custom firewall to use dummynet on that bridge.

Thanks again for your help!

Peter Brezny
Skyrunner.net