Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:47:18 +0100
From:      Kenneth Vestergaard <kvsbinsol@gmail.com>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting from a ZFS pool exported on another system.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@freebsd.org> wro=
te:
>> Is this a bug in zfsboot, or simply just the way things work?
>
> This was implemented that way, but I don't like this behaviour too.
> I was beaten by this in the past myself. I just looked at OpenSolaris
> code and they only skip destroyed pools, which is better than what we
> do. Could you try the following patch:
>
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zfsimpl=
.c.patch

How'd that work when it comes to mounting the root pool? At that point, it'=
still be exported, so I'm guessing something would barf?

I got my image booting by simply creating the image before exporting the po=
ol.
I did a 'zfs unmount imgroot' first, but I don't know if I can be sure that=
 all
buffers are synced. Nonetheless, it worked.

--=20
Kenneth Vestergaard