Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 08:32:50 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DoS attack - advice needed

>I filter ICMP, at my router, too. I only allow incomming ICMP from source
>ports 0, 3 & 11 and I allow all outgoing ICMP. I just do it to help security
>not as a stop-gap measure. To get back on the original poster's questions,

Why not filtering the same outgoing ports as the incoming ones? That
would help the global Internet security/performance, by making sure no
attack can be launched from your network.

As about why ICMP is needed, basics tools used by network people are
based on ICMP. As long as you are connected to only one provider, that
is OK, but if not, then you DO need traceroute... If only to know
where your packets are going and if they are going in the right
direction.

Olivier