Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:20:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Christopher Palmer <cpalmer@jig.ordway.org>
To:        "Brian's Mail" <bellefso@execpc.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Brian's Mail wrote:

> Can anyone give me any tips on the best tape drives to get? I want a SCSI
> device, not floppy of IDE. Is there any support for the tape changers (HP
> SureStore 24x6 etc.)?

This is an odd and perhaps useless bit of advice. If you can afford it,
get magneto-optical! It rules. Serious reliabilty in the media, and the
drives are generally very high quality also. MO is slow (faster than tape)
and expensive, but really great. I used an MO drive (the same cartridge)
every night for two years, and never had a problem. Which is lucky, since
I *did* have a few problems with the machine's hard drive. The MO came
through in every case.

If you *must* have tape, then I dunno -- I don't use tape at home. At work
we use DAT and DLT; our DAT drive just bit the dust and we're replacing it
today. DLT seems to be pretty reliable though (too bad I can't say the
same for the NT machine it's backing up, though...).

Christopher Palmer
Assistant Systems Administrator, Ordway Music Theatre
cpalmer@jig.ordway.org