Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 03:51:07 +0200 (EET)
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Virtual memory consumption (both user and kernel) in modern CURRENT

Hello!

  I've got a relatively fresh (12-Feb-2006 14:20 UTC) CURRENT on my ASUS
M5A notebook (CPU Pentium M 1.86GHz, 256 Mb memory), kernel config is:

 	ftp://external.atlantis.dp.ua/FreeBSD/CURRENT/NOTEBOOK

I have several questions regarding virtual memory use, both user-mode and
kernel.

1) Is it normal that virtual memory size for almost every non-kernel process
    is close to 50Mb now:

 	ftp://external.atlantis.dp.ua/FreeBSD/CURRENT/top.txt

    Is it miscalculation or real growth of virtual address space?

2) I can _trivially_ crash my box by extracting and deleting Openoffice.org
    distribution:

 	cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-2.0
 	NOCLEANDEPENDS=yes make extract clean

    However, I can't obtain crash dump in most cases, see the picture:

 	ftp://external.atlantis.dp.ua/FreeBSD/CURRENT/nodump.jpg

    Is it due to new ATA DMA dump code, or due to some other reason?
    I've never seen such dump failures before.

3) Once I was lucky enought to obtain a valid crash dump in this situation.
    Here is the backtrace:

 	ftp://external.atlantis.dp.ua/FreeBSD/CURRENT/bt

    What tunables can I use to prevent this panic? Alas tuning(7) doesn't
    say anything about "mem_map too small". Is it tuning issue at all
    or a bug?

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator