Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 18:41:46 -0500
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Aaron Johnson <aaron@aaronfcsi.force9.co.uk>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RedHAT 5 or Free BSD

On Apr 5,  5:37pm, Aaron Johnson wrote:
> Subject: RedHAT 5 or Free BSD
> I am currently using RedHAT v3 and I am looking to move to another OS.
> Please e-mail me with reasons why I should buy freebsd rather than RedHAT 5.
>
> Sensible reasons please not.(cos it's better)
>
> aaron@aaronfcsi.force9.co.uk

>-- End of excerpt from Aaron Johnson

I have tried the latest releases from RedHat and found them to be broken in
many ways.  They also use a lot of bleeding edge stuff that has caused numerous
problems in compilling applications and getting the system stable.  Have a look
at their eratta lists.  Using leading edge technology is fine in and of itself.
 However there should be some way for the user to decide whether or not they
want to bear the risks associated with it.  Red hat doesn't give you that
choice.

With FreeBSD you have the choice to use bleeding edge or stable operating
system technology. Is FreeBSD better that RedHat 5.0 or any other Linux
distribution?  Obviously some of us believe that it is.  I am not technically
qualified to present the technical reason why FreeBSD is better.  FreeBSD is
UNIX -- whether that term can be applied or not.  That is a trademark ownership
issue, however FreeBSD id BSD UNIX in every sense of the work.  Linux is a UNIX
clone that use at lot of weird System V init stuff.  RedHAt in particular has
taken this to the limit in my not so humble opinion.

None of this is to say that Linux is bad, just that in my opinion there are
better choices available.  FreeBSD will run Linux apps just fine -- no
performance hit involved.  FreeBSD has a central development team, Linux id
more or less developed by commitee.  Yes there is one individual that looks
after the Linux Kernel, but the kernel is not an operating system.

I have already stepped way over the flame boundry.  Questions such as this
always run that risk.  The best advice is to try them both and use the one that
works best for you.  Personally, I have both installed, but rarely use Linux
compared to FreeBSD.  FreeBSD works best for me for many reasons, stability,
availability and ease of installation of user apps, run Linux apps, and most of
all it is very easy to upgrade and keep the current rev levels on my system.

One last suggestion.  If you wish to try a great linux distribution -- which I
use and recommend over RedHat -- is go to www.suse.com and give that
distribution a hard look.  It has a lot going for it that makes it superior to
RedHat.  Hope that this helps.  And yes I do use FreeBSd cuz it's better.

Regards,
Frank