Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 1997 16:56:18 +0900
From:      Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
To:        Panos GEVROS <P.Gevros@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Cc:        salo@msc.edu (Tim Salo), freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Efficient ATM card.

>From my experience, I can say that ENI drivers choose chipset and
motherboard.   All ENI drivers make heavy use of PCI DMA, and the
first generation pci chipsets don't seem to work well.  So, use
triton-2, natoma, or newer chipsets.

Cranor's driver tries to find out the workable DMA combination (burst
size and alignment) but still fails to work with older (broken?)
chipsets.
I don't know much about harp2 but cranor's driver seems to do more
extensive testing.

WRT adding a traffic shaping function,  I'm planning to add a sysctl
for it to cranor's driver but I won't have time to make a release
until October.  If you're desparate, drop me an e-mail.

--kj