Date:      Thu, 22 May 2003 18:59:07 -0400
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD-RW problems on ThinkPad X23

I have an IBM ThinkPad X23 running FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE, and am having
various problems with my CD-RW drive. It's part of the Ultrabase,
which is how the X-series laptops add some peripherals.

I didn't do anything special to configure it; it just worked. I had
previously used it to install some software, but I don't have any
CD-ROMs around right now for testing. I had never tried anything
else, since I didn't need to burn any CDs and I hadn't gotten around
to getting sound support compiled.

Now that I've done so, I find that I can't really do much. If I try
to put in an audio CD, with the GUI CD Player app, I get the message,
"Error accessing cdrom device. Please check to make sure cdrom drive
support is compiled into the kernel, and that you have permission to
access the device. Reason: no such file or directory." Using
cdcontrol on the command line, I get:

  cdcontrol: no disc in drive /dev/acd0c

even when there is.

Burning CDs doesn't work either; I constantly get:

  monopoly/ # burncd data test.iso fixate
  burncd: open(/dev/acd0c): Device not configured

It does register on boot:

  monopoly/ # dmesg | grep acd
  acd0: CD-RW <CD-W28E> at ata1-master PIO4

Any suggestions for where I should start to poke? I haven't found
anything too helpful online.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower