Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 01:30:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

Notes:

> > 1.	A concern that FreeBSD tends to "bind" for brief periods when
> > 	loaded. Here is how it was described to me:  You will be doing
> > 	something (like skimming news articles in trn or tin) that is
>
> This one really needs some additional context.  Suffice it to say that
> I've not experienced such behavior myself, and that's about all one
> can say with a fairly subjective report like this.  That's not to say
> that it's totally lacking in validity, but consider what you yourself
> would do with a user report that "the system seemed slow."  You'd
> naturally want to know how many processes were running, what version
> of the OS was being used, that kind of thing.  In this instance you
> say that "something starts up" but you don't say what it is.  Doing
> Tape I/O is something that's traditionally had a really bad impact
> on the performance of *every* UNIX variant I've ever seen, so if you're
> saying that the event in question is the operator starting a full dump
> from the console, well, "duh!" :-)  No, I'm not flaming you or shooting
> the messenger, I'm just saying that there are always two categories
> of bug reports:  Ones that give you enough information to go on that
> you actually have a hope of doing something about them and others
> more the nature of "Your system sucks, dudes!  Make it better!"

Specific example of a system grinding to a halt in an "unexpected" manner:

System, ASUS PCI/I P54*something Pentium 100 motherboard, a Rod Grimes
board, dual NCR 810 controllers, 2x ST-12550N 2G Barracuda SCSI drives, 2x
Micropolis 4G SCSI drives, 64MB RAM.  FreeBSD 2.0.5R.

Doing "newfs -b 4096 -f 512 /dev/sd10s1e" took the system down into the
ground as far as I was concerned.  I figured it would take a while to newfs
a 4G drive, so I went to next console, logged in, noticed it was very
sluggish, and tried to do a newfs on another drive.  It worked but
everything was extreeeeeeemely slow.

I haven't looked recently to see if this still "happens".

> Tell your ISPs that not all drives are created equal and that they
> should find a winning combination before blaming the OS.  Also mention
> that today's winning combo may not necessarily be tomorrow's.  I had
> great luck with the GP drives until Quantum's quality control suddenly
> took an unexplained nose-dive.  As in all things, you just gotta keep
> your ears open and be willing to investigate problems as thoroughly
> as possible before pointing any fingers - this stuff isn't that simple
> anymore!

This is very true.  news.sol.net runs a dozen drives on three SCSI channels
and has performed _great_!!  Aside from some nightmares configuring the PCI
stuff (I still owe Stefan some debugging output), this is one area where
FreeBSD excels.

I _have_ seen cases where a particular controller and drive did not like
each other (2.0.5R/NCR-810/ST-15150N, etc) but this is the exception rather
than the rule, and even then, one can generally upgrade to more recent
drivers and fix the problem.

Just mild commentary,

... Joe