Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 20:15:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to people feel about adding an AUTHOR convention to ports?

[I switched the order of my quoting to get the main point up at the top]

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>
> If you put a lot of gratuitous stuff in your Makefile, it's just going to
> discourage folks from trying to figure out how to make more ports.

Bah humbug.  If they're making a port, they're not likely some kind of
technophobe who will cringe at the site of a few details.  Remember,
making a port potentially involves close examination of the ported source
files, likely an examination of of the included Makefile, and who-knows
what-else.  It's not like you're dealing with babies who are new to
computing.

> > 	LIST_FREEBSD		= hylafax@freebsd.org
> > 	MAINTAINER		= jhs@freebsd.org
> > 	LIST_GENERIC		= flexfax@sgi.com
> > 	AUTHOR_CURRENT		= sam@sgi.com
> > 	AUTHOR_ORIGINAL		= sam@sgi.com
>
> Julian, if it's not being used in bsd.port.mk, what possible use are the
> variables?  Stuff like this might be more useful as a comment, or maybe in
> the DESCR file.  I can't think of a single port that would need more info
> than the author of the original sources, and the FreeBSD maintainer[s].

One thing that could conceviebly be useful is somewhere to report bugs.
This would probably be the maintainer.  A special target, 'pr' could be
used to send a bug, or something like `pkg_bug'.  Of course, this would
just make it all the more complicated for a newuser (as opposed to a
single "send-pr" program).  Actually, the more I think about it the less
I like it.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk