Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:02:00 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "George Johnson" <burrius@wirefire.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't fig out.............................

>Hey; I just called gateway and they helped me find out what I do have!
>I really what to know what I don't have so I can fix it.!  My computer
>cdron is installed and has been installed for 5 years now. But now the
>computer don't rec it, and don't rec my zip drive nether. I went into
>MSDOS and found it listed I went into config and both are listed
>correctly. But when I go into windows (reg. mode) it don't reconiser
>ether DRIVE ( ) and or item  --- CDrom (E:/ DRIVE) - zip -( F:/ DRIVE)
>its like someone came into and riped these to drives out - like took
>out the Drive (letters) and the handware and threw them out of the
>windows program. Now How do I get them to reistall into windows( if
>I don't have a cdrom to install them back into windows??????????????
>/ ) Or what do I do?/ perplexed

1. Try booting an MS-DOS diskette which loads the driver for your CD-ROM
(such as ATAPI.SYS, or whatever is appropriate for drive) and
MSCDEX.EXE.

    a.    If your CD-ROM is still not recognized, you have a hardware
problem. Since your computer is 5 years old, you might just consider
buying a new one (Three times the power for half the price...)

    b.    If your CD-ROM is recognized, reinstall Windows from scratch.
(I'd recommend formatting your hard drive to ensure there's no leftovers
from the existing Windows installation.) Make sure you backup any data
on your hard drive you want to save.

2.    This is a FreeBSD (Unix) mailing list, so you're asking looking in
the wrong place to get too in-depth Windows technical info. Here, you're
more likely to get the advice: "dump Windows altogether, and install
FreeBSD!"

3.    Please don't send HTML mail to the list.

Good luck,

--Dan

--
Dan O'Connor