Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:25:05 -0700
From:      kstewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qt-3-3-3 errors

On Saturday 28 August 2004 09:58 am, Chris wrote:
> kstewart wrote:
> > On Friday 27 August 2004 02:39 pm, Chris wrote:
> >>Here is the error I'm getting, but first, some history.
> >>This was a 5.2.1-REl-p9 system, upgraded to 5.3Beta1.
> >>Things blew up, so I suped the source back to 5.2.1
> >>
> >>Re fetched the complete ports tree, and started to work.
> >>
> >>2 -I/usr/local/include -I../shared -I../uilib -I/usr/local/include
> >>-I../../../in
> >>clude -I/usr/X11R6/include -I.moc/release-shared-mt/ -o
> >>./tableeditorimpl.o tabl
> >>eeditorimpl.cpp
> >>/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt33/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.3/bin/uic -L
> >>/usr/ports/x11-to
> >>olkits/qt33/work/qt-x11-free-3.3.3/plugins listboxeditor.ui -i
> >>listboxeditor.h -
> >>o listboxeditor.cpp
> >>/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/X11R6/lib/plugins/designer/libcppeditor.so:
> >>Undefined
> >>  symbol "__cxa_atexit"
> >>*** Error code 1
> >
> > What I think you are seeing is the new c++ fighting with the old c++ for
> > naming convention. When you updated to 5.3, you needed to rebuild
> > anything that used c++. Now you have to build those again to get them
> > back to the old naming convention.
> >
> > Kent
>
> Ahh - I figured. Well, the question is this; with over 560 ports
> installed, what's the best course?
>
> Install Beta1 from scratch, or - compile? If compile, is there a
> catch-all (one liner) to get this going.

Well, I think that portupgrading "-PPa" the packages from beta1 is going to be
faster than recompiling all of them. My faster computers are all running 4.x
and the AMD 1600+, which is the only computer I have running 5.x, builds
ports at about half the speed of the 2400+'s.

If you want to go to 5.3, you are going to have to reinstall all/most/many of
them. My rule of thumb is that when you change compilers, you rebuild
everything. That may not always be necessary but I have found historically
that consistency is better in the long run than chance.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA