Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 00:02:01 -0500
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: preferred jail management tool

--q0jmlKAOpBBvhTkbTO9JequHDCIP0T4vQ

On 2015-01-26 22:46, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:23:48 -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> [Sean Chittenden wrote:]
>  > > > For years I've used and endorsed ezjail, but as stated, it is de=
preciated.
>  >=20
>  > Hmm, there's no notation at
>  > http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=3Dsysutils&port=
name=3Dezjail ,
>  > nor in the Makefile AFAICT.
>  >=20
>  > > > For a book, excluding ezjail would exclude a huge portion of the=
 user base
>  > > > and seems like it would hurt credibility given its dominance as =
the
>  > > > preferred tool for jail administration.
>=20
> I agree with this; given its history and installed base it certainly=20
> deserves some coverage with at least references to its documentation, a=
s=20
> a precursor to more recently emerging, likely more comprehensive tools.=

>=20
>  > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:54:50PM -0500, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>  > > Maybe is something obvious to the more technical crowd but as a us=
er what
>  > > does "depreciated" mean in this context?
>  >=20
>  > Really the word most people use is "deprecated" rather than "depreci=
ated".
>  >=20
>  > It can mean any number of things:
>  >=20
>  >  - it no longer works due to changes in other software
>  >  - it has been replaced by something else
>  >  - the author is no longer interested in maintaining it
>  >=20
>  > and so forth.
>  >=20
>  > I don't know the answer in this case.
>=20
> As Alejandro went on to point out, depreciate means (ref Concise Oxford=
)=20
> 'Diminish in value' or 'Lower market price of; reduce purchasing power =

> of (money); disparage, belittle' (L. pretiare f. pretium price), while =

> deprecate means 'Plead against; express wish against or disapproval of =

> (L. precari pray).  Different, with some overlap regarding belittlement=
=2E
>=20
> The former term is prominent in Joe's http://jail-primer.sourceforge.ne=
t/
>=20
> cheers, Ian

>=20

Ezjail still works perfectly fine. It is moderately actively maintained,
it works very well with ZFS. The value of having a single basejail,
rather than multiple is slightly diminished by the fact that we all have
more disk space than we used to, and the fact that ZFS could clone a
common dataset to save some space, but, when it comes time to upgrade
the common basejail is useful. The process can be a bit awkward at
times, but it generally works fine.

I still use ezjail a lot, and have no problems with it.

--=20
Allan Jude