Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2012 13:43:29 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: announcing the availability of packages for the Arm architecture

On 11/05/12 07:33, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Dave Hayes wrote:
>
>> On 10/30/12 07:18, Ian Lepore wrote:
>>> All in all, I have the impression that not many people "use" freebsd on
>>> arm at all.
>>
>> Just getting to the point of "using" it is quite time intensive. I ran out of time trying to get my dreamplug to where I want it. These issues were in my way (this was some time ago, check the list for dates):
>>
>> - install requires non-trivial patches and kernel config
>
> There are a few people working on build systems to
> simplify this.  My scripts work pretty much "out-of-the-box"
> for RaspberryPi and BeagleBone now and should be easily
> extensible to other platforms.

Where are these scripts? I'd like to try them.

Part of my problem is that I routinely build customized versions of
FreeBSD for specific applications, so I don't like just using a canned
script...I like to understand the process. Unfortunately there's a lot
of patching and config/make kernel/re-config cycles to get something right.

> FreeBSD ports team is now building packages for ARM.

That's great news and I saw some of that. Some users might still like to
be able to customize a port build, but for most users that would be fine.

> Even if you prefer a "more beefy" system like the DreamPlug
> or PandaBoard or … , consider getting a RaspberryPi as well
> and tinkering with that for a little bit.  It's only $35.

I saw that too. Let me say that those are amazing computers at an
awesome price. Add a cheap usb disk and you likely have a workable
desktop. The problem is, as usual, a lack of quality tinkering time in
my world. Once I get my dreamplug working as a firewall...maybe. :D
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

"Man is the only creature that refuses to be what he is."
                                            --Albert Camus