Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 22:04:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        StevenR362@aol.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snd970814.tgz

> I gave your recent sound driver a spin and ran into some minor problems
> with it on current.
>
> 1.  The linker set "pnpdevice_set" failed to link.  I believe due to the
> lack of a tentative definition.  I solved this by removing extern from the

I will check this. Everybody is having this problem and I am not, so
there must be something missing in the documentation, since the code
I distributed is a verbatim copy of mine!

As for the SB16 probing etc. I will add the ID and try to write a
suitable PnP device entry. Unfortunately I don't have a SB16 here
(although the OPT931 is supposed to emulate SB4.4 so that might work),
and the SB16 code has not been tested yet.

> pcm0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 5 flags 0x11 on isa
>         device combination doesn't support shared irq5
>         intr_connect(irq5) failed, result=-1

actually, the two error messages are produced by the standard code, and
mean that there is some other active device at irq5, so you should
check your config file to remove the conflict. That might also explain
why the SB16 code does not work as expected.

I also not that it is curious that a SB16 clone only uses one 16-bit
DMA channel, it probably uses two, DMA1 for 8-bit transfers, DMA5 for
16-bit transfers.

> I am going to try guspnp15.tgz next and see if that handles it better.  But
> I thought you should get a little feedback on clone cards with your driver.

Yes thanks, I appreciate it.

	Cheers
	Luigi