Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:13:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <keith@mail.telestream.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   amd <long>

Having a problem getting up and rolling with amd. I'll admit up front that
the amd.conf and amd manuals don't work well with my brain and is more
then a little confusing if not vague. For instance in the man page for
amd.conf it says the following.
auto_dir (string, default=/a) Same as the -a option to amd. This sets the
private directory where amd will create sub-directories for its real mount
points.

The man page for amd says the following for the -a option.
-a temporary-directory
Specify an alternative location for the real mount points. The default is
/a.

I don't even know what a temporary direcroty is or why you would need one.
I thought it would work much like simply mounting a remote fs with the
mount command and it would put it where specified. Currently I can get a
local cdrom to mount but it's all screwy in how it does it. I'm sure it's
me so I'm not slamming amd on this just not understanding the whole
process and sequence of events of mounting with amd. I have very simple
conf files for this. And quite possitive they are screwed up somehow. Here
they are.

/etc/amd.conf
[ global ]
auto_dir = /a
log_file = /var/log/amd
log_options = all
map_type = file
search_path = /etc
[/cdrom]
map_name = amd.cdrom
browsable_dirs = yes

/etc/amd.cdrom
cdrom  type:=program;\
mount:="/sbin/mount mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom";\
unmount:="/sbin/umount umount -f /cdrom"

Thing is, I cd into /cdrom and there is another dir in there named cdrom
inwhich I have to cd into that one to get to the cd. BUT, once I cd back
out of the directory I can go straight into /cdrom and the cdrom directory
that was in there is now gone and the cd contents are shown. Confussion
abounds. Thanks for any pointers. Sorry for the long mail.

Keith

Keith W.
At the helm <for better or worse>

My non work related site