Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 22:47:29 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Michael Horton <mhorton@magibox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is a good modem?

> I am building a FreeBSD box at home and would like to have an external
> modem to connect with my ISP and work.
>
> What's a good external modem to use with FreeBSD?

We've been using Sportster's with *very* good success for full-time
connections to our office in MT.  These modems have been in use for ~3
years solid with only 2 glitches (during 2 separate storms in a 2 week
period both my boss and I lost our modems at home, although the work
modems were protected through modem surge protectors).  Other than that,
we have been pretty happy with them, and although they don't support
most of the fancy features of the USR Couriers when doing Sportster <->
Sportster connections they work fabulous.

At one point I had a 105 day connection to the office from my apartment
that I *hated* to shutdown when I moved into my house. :)

Nate