Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 00:04:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        nate@sneezy.sri.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, core@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NMI Error success story

> > But, I did notice that the static cache rams on the new motherboard were
> > 15ns, and on my old (buggy) motherboard they were 25ns.  Because I had
> > nothing to lose and feeling like I couldn't make the problem any worse I
> > swapped the cache chips on the motherboards.
>
> I will add that I did the same surgery on my machine, which worked fine
> before and after, with the lefthand spin to it that it ran around 10% faster
> afterwards because I could get the cache burst down to 3-1-1-1 instead of
> 3-2-2-2.

Humm.. 3+1+1+1 = 6, 3+2+2+2=9, should have been 30% faster if everything
hit the cache, figure an actual cache hit rate of 80% and you should have
seen a 24% performance increase by this.

1/25ns SRAM should give you 40Mhz operation, but you need setup and hold
times + board delay which is atleast 5 ns, resuting in 1/30nS or 33Mhz,
very very marginal.

1/20ns + 5 ns should give reliable 33Mhz operation.  More than likely
it was tag compare delay that caused the problem nate saw, and the
ability of Poul to go to a 3-1-1-1 burst.

Many motherboards use a 15nS cache tag SRAM and 20nS cache data rams.

Many of the new P54C motherboards are specing 12nS or faster SRAMS if
you want to run the 100Mhz CPU.  [ASUS new triton based board uses
10nS Pipelined Burst SRAMS to achive a 2-1-1-1 cache burst cycle).