Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:22:28 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        "Eric F Crist" <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RE: re-installing the FreeBSD MBR.

6/20/2002 6:31:53 PM, "Eric F Crist" <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>Thanks for all your help thus far, seems I'm down to one (simple)
>problem.
>
>I figured out that in the course of changing which HDD the BIOS used
>boot from, the value changed for GRUB.  Basically, what is my
hardware
>1st drive will change to hd1 in grub's eyes if it's set in BIOS as the
>secondary HDD.  This is what was screwing me up.
>
>I have it setup now so that I can boot to FreeBSD successfully using
>GRUB!
>
>Here's where my problem lies:
>
>Windows XP lies on the entirety of hd1.  Even the MBR of hd1
contains
>the Windows XP boot loader.  My entry in my menu.lst file for windows
XP
>contains the following lines of code:
>
>#Windows XP
>title Windows XP Professional
>rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>chainloader +1  <--That's a one, not an L)
>
>If I attempt to select the Windows XP entry in GRUB, the system
>completely reboots, bringing me back to the GRUB selection screen.  I
am
>continuing to search the web and GRUB docs to find a fix, but I would
>appreciate it if someone here could help me a little faster.

In the GRUB docs re configuration:

title Windows NT / Windows 95
root        (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I found the above worked with W2K, with the title line modified
appropriately.  (GRUB's still my favorite bootloader, it just doesn't grok
my current RAID setup.)  You would of course want to change the root
location.

The differences from your config: (1) rootnoverify was used a lot in
older versions of GRUB, not so much any more.  I don't think you need
it.  (2) You don't have "makeactive" in your config to make the XP
partition active before chainloading its bootloader.

If those changes don't work, you may need to make XP think it lives on
the first hard drive.  Look at the discussion of the map command in the
GRUB docs.  There's also a GRUB mailing list which may be helpful - try
searching it using Google Groups.

Jud