Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 97 22:17:19 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/security on news servers

> What are folks running news servers doing to keep /etc/security from
> traversing their news spools?
>
> There's a similar problem with /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb that
> /etc/weekly runs to rebuild the location database, and you probably don't
> want to use the mount flags trick here.

grep -v usually works wonders for me.

MP=`mount -t ufs | sed 's;/dev/;&r;' | egrep -v ' on /news| on /nov ' | awk '{ print $3 }'`

find ${SRCHPATHS} \! -fstype local -prune -or -print | \
	egrep -v '^/news|^/nov' | \

etc.

It ain't artsy, but it works.

Incidentally: the latter find still traverses the spool.  I don't really
care.  I just didn't want it adding boatloads of bloat, I don't care too
much what disk I/O is like at 3AM.

... Joe