Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2023 04:19:19 +0100
From:      void <void@f-m.fm>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   what's the Correct git update method keeping local changes

Hello hackers@

I looked in the porters and developers handbooks and couldn't find reference
to a Correct method of working with git, poudriere, the ports tree and
local changes for a use case like mine.

Right now my workflow looks like this:

1. apply patch either with patch -p0 < patchfile or git apply from the
    top of the ports tree
2. git stash
3. poudriere ports -u -q
4. git stash pop
5. run the poudriere build

then, subsequent poudriere builds need steps 2-5 repeated.

I'm wary of git merge/apply because i'm not a dev and so don't want to push
changes. but I want to update the ports tree for poudriere with local changes
keeping them local.

What's the best way?