Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 15:29:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        bmah@cs.berkeley.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip masquerading

> IMO:  The lack of masquerade is likely to prove the most significant
> disability of FBSD relative to Linux, vis a vis market requirements
> in the forseeable future.  My most vulnerable assumption, in forming
> this opinion, is probably my estimate of the proportion of potential
> free unix users with multiple home machines *and* one of either multiple
> home users or a dedicated/demand Internet connection.

This is a valid point.

On the other hand, Linux-style "masquerading" is just one of several
potential soloutions to the problem, and it is by far one of the most
complicated of those.

Since anything that gets done (if it gets done) is basically going
to be a "from scratch" implementation, it might as well not be an
ugly hack to the IP code.  IMO, it would be *less* work to build the
two socks daemons.  I think the restriction that you must use two
private address networks and set up routes to make this work for
unsock'ified Win95 clients (for example) to be acceptable; there
are sufficient number for private networks that you won't run out
any time soon.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---