Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:12:45 +0100
From:      Jaco Engelbrecht <bje@serendipity.org.za>
To:        John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about a high load BIND server setup...

hi John,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 02:04:10PM -0400, John Von Essen wrote:
> I just upgraded to 9.3.2 today. I have been having memory issues. For
> starter, when the named pid grows res mem to around 500m it craps out and
> stops resolving. The tentative fix was to restart bind every night at 2am.
>
> However, today, the res mem grow from 25m at startup to 500m in about 4
> hours. Quicker then usually, so I thought maybe there was a memory leak,
> and thats why I upgraded to the latest version of bind.
>
> Any ideas?

Build bind with its internal memory allocator.  To to do this, change
CONFIGURE_ARGS in /usr/ports/dns/bind9/Makefile to read like:

--
CONFIGURE_ARGS= --localstatedir=/var --disable-linux-caps \
                --with-randomdev=/dev/random \

make clean
make WITH_PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9=YES
make install

/etc/sysctl.conf settings:

net.inet.raw.recvspace=128000
net.inet.udp.recvspace=256000
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=128000
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=128000
net.inet.tcp.inflight_enable=1
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=256000
kern.ipc.somaxconn=2048
net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen=128

Jaco

--
bje@serendipity.org.za
the faculty of making fortuante discoveries