Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:34:30 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Nicolas C. Colicchio" <ncolicc@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic on mounting OS/2 partition (was: "WARNING: / was not properly dismounted" message at reboot time.)

On Saturday, 27 February 1999 at 12:31:26 -0500, Nicolas C. Colicchio wrote:

> Here is some more information....
>
>> On Saturday, 27 February 1999 at  0:28:39 -0500, Nicolas C. colicchio wrote:
>>> If someone has had this happen to them could they pass on how to get
>>> arround it.
>>>    I have a Pentium 90 machine with multiple OS's on it. FreeBSD is one
>>> of them. I am reletively new to Unix and FreeBSD. I had partitioned my
>>> first drive: OS/2 Boot manager/ MSDOS / Win95 / FreeBSD.
>>>    I was trying to mount the different partiions to FreeBSD to identify
>>> which dev/wd0s? was with witch partition. I had successfully  mounted
>>> the MSDOS partition and was able to read it aswell mount the Win95
>>> partition. I attempted the next one in line {/dev/wd0s4} in hind site i
>>> should have guessed it was the OS/2 Boot manager partion. when I had
>>> mounted the partition this triggered off something because some numbers
>>> spewd across the bottom of the screen and the system rebooted
>> itself.
>>
>> This is a panic.  There should have been a message like "panic: don't
>> know what to do now" before the numbers.
>
>  I guess  I missed that message. It would make sense.

If it happens again, try to remember the panic string.  It's the
closest thing we have to an explanation for the problem.

>>>    upon rebooting the kernel would load. I know this because I can see
>>> the deviceses being polled. When it identifies the my pentium chip it
>>> then gives me a message : Warning: / was not properly dismounted
>>> It then sits there and does nothing.
>>
>> Nothing at all?  No disk activity?  At this point it should be
>> recovering the file systems.  This can take a while.
>
> Yes there is no Disk activity... I have left it for upto 15 minutes
> with no change.

It won't change any more.

>>> One of my options is to re-install FreeBSD,
>>
>> This is normally not an option.
>>
>>> however I don't think mounting an incompatible partition should have
>>> gotten my into so much trouble.
>>
>> Indeed.  I'd be interested in finding out exactly what happened, but
>> not at the expense of tearing your file systems apart.
>
>  Some Things I have tried since my first posting of this note:
>   I have booted up under OS/2 and remove the the Boot Manger
> Partition. Made the FreeBSD partition the Active partition and
> FreeBSD will still not come active.

No, that wasn't the problem.  You'd got past where the active
partition makes any difference.

> I have tried making that partition a FAT partition and no head way.

Change that back immediately.  That will definitely screw things up.

>    From the DOS partition I created a FreeBSD Fixit disk from the
> CDrom. I've booted from Diskette however I am sure to use the
> diskette to bring up a Unix system

You should boot from the installation disk and then mount the fixit
disk.  Is this what you did?  Which version of FreeBSD are you using?

> it tells me that I am missing two Boot.* files.

It would be nice if you reported which ones.

Greg