Date:      Wed, 09 May 2001 19:30:34 +0900
From:      Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: select(2) converted to use a condition variable, and optimis

On Wed, 09 May 2001 19:20:07 +0900,
  Seigo Tanimura <tanimura> said:

Seigo> That does not, however, necessarily imply that we can scan file
Seigo> descriptors with holding a process lock. Another process can release a
Seigo> reference to a file descriptor via closef() during polling the
Seigo> descriptor by calling its fo_poll. In this case, fdrop() subsequent to
Seigo> the call of fo_poll may result the reference count of the descriptor
Seigo> to be zero.

Hang on, the process that owns a file descriptor should be fhold()ing
the descriptor. Since we never call closef() during waiting for an
event, that problem described above is no more than absurd fear.

--
Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp> <tanimura@FreeBSD.org>