Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 00:07:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   eiffel-13a pkg/port problems: libc.so.2

Hi all;

I'm setting out to pick a few brains, here.  I've picked mine enough :-)

I've attempted to install the package (and/or port, with the same results)
eiffel-13a.  Port or package install works fine, no errors.  However,
whenever I try to run one of the Eiffel binaries found in
/usr/local/eiffel/bin, (for example, ecc) I get the rather irritating
error:

  ld.so failed: Can't find shared library "libc.so.2.1"

Easy fix, right?  Nada.  I have the 2.2 compat libs installed, and found
/usr/lib/compat/libc.so.2.2 .  Okay, I think.

Tried ldd /usr/local/eiffel/bin/ecc.  Got:

  /usr/local/eiffel/bin/ecc:
          -lc.2 => not found (0x0)

So, tried ldconfig -r.  Confirmed that -lc.2 wasn't displayed.  Did

  cp /usr/lib/compat/libc.so.2.2 /usr/lib/libc.so.2.2

then ln -s libc.so.2.2 libc.so.2.1 (and also for .2)  I then ran ldconfig
/usr/lib and checked -r.  I now have:

  52:-lc.2 => /usr/lib/libc.so.2

Great!  I still can't run ecc, however :-)  I get the same shared library
not found errors (same output in ldd as well).

Tried deinstalling and reinstalling the port after I'd done all the work
in /usr/lib.  Same disappointing effect.  'Bout the only thing I haven't
tried is rebooting... And I'm not quite ready to stoop that low :-)

Admittedly, my expertise with shared libraries is not what it should be...
If anybody can point me in the right direction, I'd be extremely grateful.
(More importantly, I won't have to PAY MONEY to use a similar compiler on
a WINDOWS platform :-)

So, on a bit of a side note, here, if anybody could point me to an
alternative Eiffel compiler, I'd _also_ be extremely grateful.

Thanks,
- Ryan Thompson