Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2012 15:33:08 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <j.mckeown@ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing BIND with unbound (Was: Re: Pull in upstream before 9.1 code freeze?)

On Monday 09 July 2012 09:34:34 Avleen Vig wrote:
> The issue is also one of barrier-to-entry. By removing `dig` and
> `host`, I think we're making things unnecessarily more difficult for
> people who don't *know* FreeBSD. `dig` and `host` a universally
> standard tools for doing DNS lookups. Taking them away in base to
> replace them with something else just seems like something that won't
> really *help* users.

Yes. So we should change the base system so that by default it does a database
lookup whenever you type an unrecognised command - to lower the barrier to
entry. We should also change the base system to remove the most commonly used
tools for doing DNS lookups, to.... what was the reason again?

I suppose at least those arguing for both these changes can argue that one
mitigates the non-POLA effect of the other....

Jonathan