Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 1995 11:13:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org (John Dyson)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Info on my Sunday commits

> MNT_ASYNC now means even more on UFS.  More of the meta-data is written
> asynchronously and the VREG data is now written asynchronously.  I think
> that even more can be done relatively safely.  This can really help on
> bulk file restores or perhaps news spool partitions.

UFS has a number of places it gratuitously uses sync I/O to fix code
errors.  One of the engineers here at Artisoft has rolled some changes
that result in some significant speed increases with no reduction in
reliability and no change to the on disk layout.  The changes are
pointed out in the Herrin/Finkel VIVAFS work as changes they made to
make VIVA faster, but it seems that all but two of the major changes
are directly applicable to UFS as well.  Check Technical Report Number
225-93 at the University of Kentucky CS Department (ms.uky.edu?).

I haven't looked at the MNT_ASYNC changes yet, but based on its previous
behaviour, I strongly caution against using MNT_ASYNC except in very
special circumstances, like volume copying or backup, etc..

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.