Date:      Mon, 2 Jan 2012 09:30:11 -0500
From:      "Brian Gold" <bgold@simons-rock.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   freebsd 8.2 lockups on Dell T610 w/ Perc 6/i

I have been running 8.2 Release patched with ZFS v28 support (via http://mfsbsd.vx.sk) since early September. In that time, we have
gotten multiple errors every day regarding mfi timeouts (mfi0: COMMAND 0xffffff80007ba5b8 TIMEOUT AFTER 32 SECONDS) and we have
experienced a full system lockup every 2-4 weeks. When the system locks up it will still respond to pings, but is totally
unresponsive via ssh or directly from the console. After hard booting the system, everything comes back up without any issues. I
have come across other users who have experienced similar issues
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-February/227650.html). In their cases, they were able to resolve the
issue by disabling C-States, Turbo Mode, and setting the bios to "Maximum Performance". We have made these changes and ensured that
all of our device's firmware are up to date. We are still experiencing the issue however. Fortunately, iDrac continues to work
during the lockup, so we have been able to power-cycle the server remotely, but it is still a big pain. If anyone has any
suggestions, I would be very appreciative.

Brian Gold
System Administrator
Bard College at Simon's Rock