Date:      Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:24:57 -0500
From:      Frank Knobbe <frank@knobbe.us>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMware under FBSD 6 (was: An idea about forbidden ports)

--=-BLW6SWeIlkrjYVs9sSRl

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 00:27 -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:
> podysseus# pkg_add -r vmware3
> Error: FTP Unable to get=20
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-current/Latest/vm=
ware3.tbz:=20
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>=20
> But really, we do have vmware3, it's just not packaged due to it being=20
> marked FORBIDDEN.

My apologies for changing the subject, but I have a question to that
very topic. I just completed a forklift upgrade from 4.10 to 6.0-RC1 on
my new laptop. Pretty much everything built fine, except VMware, and I
was trying to install it via pkg_add and ran into the same error.

What is the reason that VMware doesn't built? Is this just temporary
until Makefiles can be hacked to make it build under 6.0 or is there
some architectural problem that prevents it from ever running on 6.0?

Thanks,
Frank

PS: Other than a minor issue with ipfilter, FBSD 6 seems to run
great.... but this is my first day with it, so...

--=-BLW6SWeIlkrjYVs9sSRl

--=-BLW6SWeIlkrjYVs9sSRl--