Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 20:42:53 -0600
From:      "K. Gunderson" <kgun@iacan.org>
To:        Brad Chapman <bradchapman@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need Advice on New PC for FreeBSD

On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 05:01:30PM -0400, Brad Chapman wrote:
> Hello;
>     I am putting together a new computer from scratch to run FreeBSD and
> a database (MySQL) backed web server (under Apache). Although I am
> familiar with the FreeBSD OS and other stuff, I'm a newbie in terms of
> assembling computers. Does anyone have recommendations for components to
> build a good system? ie. if you could build your own computer, what
> would you put on it? Just trying to collect info and I would appreciate
> any advice anyone could give me. Thanks.

I have built a few boxes from scratch and brought FreBSD up on. I've
sort of settled on a config that I like, here's the makeup of the last 4
boxes:

ABIT BX6r2 motherboard
Celeron 300a  (overclocked to 450 MHz)
Micron PC100 ECC Ram  (ouch! just got *really* expensive)
IBM Deskstar HD, 10.2 gig
Trident AGP graphics card, 4MB (I don't do xwindows)
Netgear 310 TX 10/100 NIC

Now I know that somefolks have had trouble with the Netgear cards, but
they have worked well for me and are half the cost of the Intel cards.
I also got lucky and scored about 6 300a's that overclock like a dream
to 450 Mhz. Given that you don't have any slot 1 cpu's on hand, I'd look
real hard at a socket 370  CPU/MB combo.  I personally love the ABIT
boards because of their softmenu that lets me configure them  to my
hearts desire w/o having to muck around with jumpers. These boards are
an overclocker's dream.  That said, I suggest you stay away from
overclocking unless you've really done your homework. In addition to the
ABIT, you might want to consider ASUS, AOpen, and Chaintech, in that
order. I used to like Tyan, but would stay away from their present offerings.
(Note:  I've only brought FreeBSD up on ASUS and ABIT, so am unaware of
any issues the others may have.)

Most of the boxes I build end up being servers and I don't bother with a
cd-rom drive. Same goes for modems.  On the ones I do, I like the Toshiba
drives and USR/3Com (obviously stay away from Winmodems).

I've used around 8 or so IBM Deskstars of various models from 4 gig to
10 gig and never had one fail.  I don't care for WD or Quantum drives.
I've known people who've had difficulties with the 18 gig IBM drives though.
These comments apply to IDE drives only, as I'm too cheap to have
the ducats to spare for SCSI.  If I did, I'd grab an IBM or Seagate.

I personally don't think the dual CPU route is cost effective for
FreeBSD.  If you need more brute force than the current generation of
Intel/AMD offerings can provide, you might as well just build a second
box. If you've got the extra ducats to spare for a second CPU, you're
probably better off spending it on more RAM, or upgrading from IDE to
SCSI, etc.

Hope this helps you out some.

--
Ciao--Ken
http://www.y2know.org/safari

Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with your Microsoft product.