Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 14:50:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Morgan Davis <mdavis@cts.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing files in /lost+found causes panic

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, David Malone wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 09:21:15AM -0700, Tom wrote:
>
> >   I don't think you should ever need to use clri.  The system should only
> > panic if the filesystem is corrupt.  If fsck finds serious damage, you
> > should run it again to make sure everything.  Chances are the first fsck
> > left some unfixed problems.
>
> I've definitely come up with times where:
>
> 1) fsck checks the filesystem and gives it the OK, but it isn't.

  Yes, but is this a -p", which only does a partial check?  If so, that
may be what it is supposed to do.

> 2) fsck leaves weird files around in /lost+found which are difficult
> 	or impossible to delete.
> 3) fsck after about 8 runs still goes through the same list of questions
> 	and asks to be rerun again.
> 4) fsck says it doesn't need to be rerun, but if you rerun it it makes
> 	more repairs.

  A lot of these sound like hardware.  Some drives, especially IDE, will
just corrupt themselves.  Turing off multi-block mode can somtimes help.
I have a Maxtor IDE drive (8.4GB) that I can not use with FreeBSD's
multi-block mode, as data will be corrupted and fsck will always report
errors.

Tom