Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 12:19:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Alexander Maret <maret@axis.de>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: xl driver for 3Com

 > Yes, I read this remark and then decided to write to the developer
 > because I had such a problem. I tried to post as many information
 > as I could. Well it was not enough for Bill, but instead everyone
 > just saying: "Provide information" people should ask questions.
 > You will only exactly get what you want if you ask exact questions.

True. But you do have to know what the problem actually is when trying
to ask questions.

But let's get back to solving problems.

Using two machines running 2.2.6 with Bill Paul's latest drivers for
2.2.x I've been able to make the machine go strange. It looks like it
can't find DNS over the XL interface anymore (long timeouts on TAB in
bash).

The problem showed with ping -f from each machine to the other and a
tcpblast with a packet size of 32768 and 100000 packets (I will send the
patch for tcpblast if the problem is reproducable). I don't know whether
the problem is the packet size, but all of a sudden even the ping -f
went down from 100kb a second to 4kb and the tcpblast was terminated.

I also do not knw which machine actually went down (whether it was the
one sending or receiving from tcpblast).  I'll rig up two 3.2 machines
this afternoon and see if I can reproduce the problem.

If anyone has better suggestions on which programs to run to reproduce
the problem, let me know. tcpblast was a first guess.

Cheers,

Nick