Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:27:32 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StrongARM support?

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 02:19:02PM -0700, Warner Losh scribbled:
| In message <20001218151235.D69041@peorth.iteration.net> "Michael C
| . Wu" writes:
| : IIRC, NetBSD doesn't have the newer StrongARM SA-11xx ports.
| : And that's why we have to work from ARM/Linux.
|
| In conversations that I had with an unnamed vendor a while ago, the
| newer parts should be just a few days of casual effort to incorporate
| into NetBSD.  The glue chips for the eval boards likely would be more
| work, but the mods for the new CPU would be farily minimal.

I will look into this.

| : With PicoBSD not working very well in -CURRENT and the advent of
| : large sized flash media (SANDISK/CompactFlash, SmartMedia).
| : Can we begin to maybe have a "make buildsmallworld" target?
| : (i.e. a combination of NO_STATIC=yes and other suitable options)
|
| Maybe.  I have a script that will effectively do a installsmallworld
| target.  The guts of the script are a for loop that does
|
|     (cd $FreeBSDSrcDir
|     make -m ${FreeBSDSrcDir}/share/mk -f Makefile.inc1 \
|         hierarchy DESTDIR=$1 NOMAN=yes
|     (cd etc ; make -m ${FreeBSDSrcDir}/share/mk \
|         distribution DESTDIR=$1 NOMAN=yes)
|     for i in ${FreeBSDProgramDirs}; do
|         echo "==> $i"
|         test -d $i &&
|             (cd $i ; make -m ${FreeBSDSrcDir}/share/mk \
|                 install -DNOINFO -DNOMAN DESTDIR=$1 -DNOPROFILE)
|     done)

Do you use the gcc embedded optimizations?

| which lets you tweak things to year heart's delight.  Every time I go
| to put this script up, I run into the "oh, but I want it to do X Y and
| Z before posting." problem.  Maybe I should just post it.

Just an idea/question:
Can we possibly use crunchgen to generate a big binary for userland tools
only?  Then we can drop in new binaries with ease.

However, I think that simply buying a 100mb SANDISK is easier. :)

| : In addition, -CURRENT has become very much larger.  I know about
| : the "embedded systems are customized, so cut it down yourself"
| : argument.  However, what if it's still large after we cut it down
| : to the bare minimum?  Also, what about /dev/random seeding problems?
|
| There are lots of ways to seed /dev/random in an embdeeded system.

Right, I simply hope that Mark Murray can allow us to drop in things
like GPS signal strength and radio background noise.  Many embedded
devices have antennas that could be put to good use.