Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 22:08:47 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opera ports to QNX but not BSD

At 09:52 PM 5/18/2001, Jamie Bowden wrote:

>:What assumptions are you making about Wyoming that would lead you to
>:believe that this is the case?
>
>State population density (or lack thereof in this case).  I don't see any
>indications that Wyoming is home to any major bandwidth either.

We are home to more bandwidth than practically any other state, because
we are traversed by the I-25 and I-80 corridors plus the Union Pacific
and Burlington Northern railroad lines. MOST of the coast-to-coast
backbones go through Wyoming, and several nationwide providers have
switching and regeneration centers here. The University of Wyoming,
here in Laramie, is on Internet II and thus has massive amounts of
bandwidth. Still more bandwidth comes through on large microwave
links. Broadwing just fired up a huge fiber backbone that runs
within a mile of where I'm sitting.... We're looking at tapping in.

>I'm not trying to pick a fight here Brett, but you're not exactly in an
>urban setting by any stretch of the imagination.

An urban setting does not necessarily correlate with the availability
of bandwidth. (Ask anyone in New York City who's tried to get DSL
from Verizon!)

>I'd rather live in your setting personally, but this urban hell I inhabit
>is where the jobs are.

Actually, Cyberspace is where the jobs are. That's where I work... the
nice part is that I get to live here.

>:Plus hours of time redoing our spam filters, malware filters, mail
>:aliases, virtual host and user tables, list servers.... Not such a small
>:task.
>
>Hours?  Computers were designed to do exactly the sort of data
>manipulation you're talking about in an automated fashion.  The sed/awk
>bits to convert one format to another (on a test box of course) shouldn't
>take that long.  Testing is where hours come in, but those hours were well
>spent if you will see a long term overall savings where your time is
>concerned.

We do a lot of special things. We'd need to check to be sure that
the scripts worked as intended.

>While I was by no means a top sendmail expert, I could and did regularly
>edit the cf file without bothering to grab the manual.  I've never felt so
>good about dumping something that I spent so much time acquiring skill
>with.

I've edited the cf file, but don't pretend to know every piece of magic
it contains. I do as much as I can with m4 macros, which are themselves
tricky but still more manageable.

Again, I'd have to learn about postfix or qmail before turning them
loose on key servers. Much of the spam I receive seems to have been
relayed by misconfigured qmail servers (though old versions of Exchange
and Lotus Notes also rank high on the list).

--Brett