Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 23:23:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        PoolJamN@netscape.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: kernel configuration

On 24-Aug-2001 PoolJamN@netscape.net wrote:
>  I recently purchaced the freeBSD 3rd edition kit (book & 10 cd's) and have
>  it installed and configured the best i need at this point, however i was
>  having a hard time trying to make since of what the book had to say about
>  configuring the kernel.  I looked at the source code, but it didn't seem to
>  be right.  I have an AMD/K6-2/400, 64M, SB16, RadioReveal, PCI NIC (intel
>  based), Adaptec 152x SCSI, SCSI cd, and 1 SCSI cd-r.
>  I'm pretty familure with Slackware Linux, however similar they are still
>  VERY different.  Please help.

It depends what you want to do :)

The handbook describes how to configure the kernel (section 7).

Basically you copy the GENERIC kernel (/usr/src/sys/i386/conf) to whatever you
want to call your kernel and start adding bits from LINT.

(I've redirected this to questions@ where it belongs :)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum