Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 11:48:10 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mark@seeware.DIALix.oz.au (Mark Hannon)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-RELEASE : bus errors, panics, freezes

Mark Hannon stands accused of saying:

> Over the last couple of weeks I have sent a number of questions
> in but I am still having problems after a major hardware upgrade.
>
> The HW setup seems to run DOS games & Windows with no problems
> but has been acting up under FreeBSD.  An attempt to install
> linux yesterday ended in a kernel panic using one set of install
> disks and funny harddisk errors on the other.
>
> My basic question is: Are all these problems symptoms of some
> HW problem I have or are they related to FreeBSD??

Your hardware is busted.  My guesses would be RAM, cache, motherboard, in
more or less that order.  Turn off all your cacheing and then bits of
it back on one at a time.

> - 24MB RAM (mixture of 8MB of 72pin SIMMs
>             and 16MB of 30pin SIMMs on
> 	    a SIMM converter board)

Those converters suck atrociously.  Some can significantly degrade the
effective speed rating of your memory.  This may be part of the problem.
Trade up.