Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 1995 10:43:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett A. Wollman)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Re: Getting around conflicts for a driver w/out base address

> <<On Sun, 3 Sep 1995 21:08:25 +1000, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> said:
>
> > 	if_ie: various (?), some return 1.
>
> The parts of if_ie that return 1 were most likely the ones that I
> wrote, long before there was any such thing as conflict checking.
> (The bulk of if_ie was written in late 1992 under 386BSD.)

The concept of probes returning the number of I/O or CSR slots used
predates 386BSD and goes back to Net/2 itself.  386BSD simply did nothing
with the values though several of the drivers that came with it did
bother to return proper ones.

This particular proper return value from BSD drives has been and still
is overlooked by most as most platforms autoconfig code does no consitency
check on the returned value and those writting drivers where aware of
that and simply used it as a flag rather than bother with the correct
value.